I LOVE when readers comment and inspire me to try other things! The Driven Cook asked if my coconut curd could be made with coconut oil instead of butter to make it “extra guilt free.” I wasn’t sure, so I gave it a try. And, YES YOU CAN! So now I present you with Extra Guilt-Free Lemon Curd! Then I also discovered that this stuff is great on cottage cheese. It’s like a breakfast dessert party.
- 5-6 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- the juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of agave nectar (or other sweetener)
- 1 tsp of vanilla (optional; help cuts the tartness)
- Set up a bain marie or heat-proof bowl over simmering water.
- Add the egg yolks, lemon juice and zest, vanilla and agave nectar. Use a whisk to stir and combine the ingredients.
- Whisk in one tablespoon of coconut oil at a time until dissolved.
- Gently simmer and occasionally blend the mixture until it thickens (about 5 minutes). Try not to let it get clumpy.
- Once it is the consistency of custard, take it off the heat, cool in a bowl or pan of cold water to stop it from cooking, and then store it in the refrigerator.