Last month, while on a road trip, my family and I stopped at a small town to get some lunch. I browsed through the menu and saw “Stuffed Avocado with Tuna Salad.” Mmm! That sounds good. No pictures, no description. I just figured it was an avocado stuffed with tuna salad. Well, to my surprise, it was a gigantic pile of salad greens (the cheap stuff) covered with mounds of grated cheese, a handful of bacon bits, a sliced hard boiled egg, 4 slices of tomatoes, 15 slices of red onions, and about 6 avocado slices. Then on top of THAT heap was a scoop of tuna salad. You couldn’t even see the plate! And as loaded as this salad was, it was NOT appetizing at all. I felt ripped off, believe it or not. So after our trip and we were back home, I made it my mission to come up with my OWN version of Stuffed Avocado. It basic and simple yet appealing and tasty. And you can even see the plate! 🙂
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup of diced chicken (packaged, canned or leftovers from a rotisserie chicken; or you can also use albacore tuna)
- 2 tbsp. of mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. of diced celery
- 1 tbsp. of diced onions
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit and peel (that is if you catch it at the right time where you can easily peel the skin off in one swoop.) Set aside.
- Mix all the rest of the ingredients above. (Feel free to add other spices like garlic powder, cumin or paprika, or mix in diced apples or grapes)
- Put a scoop of chicken salad in the center of each avocado half. Top with sliced almonds if you wish.
- Enjoy your delicious low-carb, gluten-free meal!