My fitness guru, ShaunT (Insanity guy), posted this recipe for Stuffed Bell Peppers on his Facebook page. It’s gluten-free, low in carbs, and absolutely delicious! I think I made it 3 times in a two-week period. 🙂
Since I’m not a big fan of bell peppers (they give me heartburn), I used giant beefsteak tomatoes instead. Worked perfectly! As for the kids? They loved it too, especially topped with cheese. Family fit dinner (or lunch) at its best!
- 1 lb of ground lean turkey
- Franks red hot sauce (optional)
- 1/4 onion, minced
- lemon pepper and black pepper to taste
- 3 large bell peppers (or 6 beefsteak tomatoes), washed
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups of cooked brown rice or quinoa
- Olive oil spray
- grated cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Sauté onions and hot sauce in a pan with olive oil. Add ground turkey.
- Season with lemon pepper and black pepper. Keep browning until the meat is completely cooked.
- Add the tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Mix and simmer on low for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice/quinoa with the meat.
- Cut the bell peppers in half, lengthwise, and remove all seeds. (If using tomatoes, cut the tops of the tomatoes and scoop out the flesh and seeds and save for a salad or for later use.)
- Place bell peppers/tomatoes in a baking dish.
- Spoon the meat mixture into each bell pepper/tomato. Fill as much as you can.
- Pour the rest of the chicken broth on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Optional: Put a little grated cheese over each bell pepper/tomato.
- Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 minutes.