I love eggplant! I especially love roasted eggplant… on pasta… with feta cheese! I don’t know why. I just love the smoky taste mixed with the zesty feta. This low-carb, gluten-free, vegan recipe for Eggplant Pesto is easy – as long as you have a grill ready to roast your eggplant. If not, then baking it in the oven will do.
- 1 large globe eggplant or 2-3 long Asian eggplants
- Finely chopped 1-2 shallots or 1/2 small red onion
- 2-3 tbsp of balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil, parsley, cilantro, or whatever herbs you like.
- 1-2 tbsp of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- GRILLING: Place eggplant directly on the grill. (Do not oil or salt and pepper). Rotate it occasionally until all the sides are charred and it softens. This takes about 25-30 minutes. OVEN: Preheat at 375˚ F. Pierce the eggplant with a fork in a couple of places then place eggplant on a cookie sheet (Do not oil or salt and pepper). Rotate after 10-15 minutes then cook for another 10-15 minutes until it’s soft and mushy. Let the outside char so that peeling will be easy. Remove from the grill and let cool completely before peeling. If the eggplant seem really watery — the larger ones tend to give off more liquid — let them drain in a colander for 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, put the shallots/red onion and pour the vinegar over it and let it sit. Then add the chopped garlic.
- Peel the eggplant. Place it in a larger bowl and sprinkle it with salt and pepper to taste. Mash it all together with a fork.
- Add half of the shallots/red onion and garlic to the eggplant.
- Mix in the herbs and a drizzle with olive oil. Mix and then taste.
- Serve over brown rice pasta and sprinkle feta cheese on top for lunch or dinner. Or you can also serve this as a dip with gluten-free crackers. Makes for a delicious guilt-free snack or appetizer.