Feeling kind of lazy to make dinner one day. So I went on fastpaleo.com and found this recipe for Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken and Sausage. I adjusted it a little because there was just so much liquid in the end, it was like soup. Anyway, the dish was a hit for the whole family! This gluten-free and low-carb meal was so flavorful from the spices.
- 4-6 chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
- 6 fresh Italian sausages
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 – 14.5 oz cans of diced or plum tomatoes
- 1 – 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup water or stock
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- Lay the breasts raw in the bottom of the slow cooker and drizzle with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.
- Add the first round of seasonings directly onto the chicken (1 teaspoon of each: Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt). Don’t mix, just leave it on top. During the slow cooking process, it seasons the chicken directly for perfect flavor.
- Lay the sausage on top of the seasoned chicken.
- Layer the thinly sliced onion and chopped garlic next. Then pour the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, water/stock and balsamic vinegar into the pot.
- Top with a second round of seasonings, use the remaining portions. Again, don’t mix this up.
- Cover and set the slow cooker to high for five hours.
I served it with a side of brown rice pasta and steamed asparagus to keep it guilt-free. The next day, for left overs, I topped the chicken on a bed of greens to make a delicious salad. Yummy!