Taking a break from lemon curd and because I have a big box of oranges, I decided to make Orange Curd instead. WOW! It’s delicious. It tastes like a creamsicle: sweet and refreshing. And because oranges are already sweet, I cut my sweetener in half!
(Pictured is my orange curd on top of Fage Greek yogurt. It’s sooooo good!)
- 5-6 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons of butter (cut up into 4 pieces) or coconut oil
- the juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup of agave nectar (or other sweetener)
- Set up a bain marie or heat-proof bowl over simmering water.
- Add the egg yolks, orange juice and zest, and agave nectar. Use a whisk to stir and combine the ingredients.
- Slowly add small pieces of butter until it’s all in the bowl. Whisk the butter into the mixture as you add it.
- Gently simmer and occasionally blend the mixture until it thickens (about 5 minutes). Try not to let it get clumpy.
- Once it is the consistency of custard, take it off the heat, cool in a bowl or pan of cold water to stop it from cooking, and then store it in the refrigerator.