This Cowboy Chili was inspired by Heather Eats Almond Butter’s Cowboy Quinoa. It’s wintertime and I wanted to make something warm, hearty and filling for dinner (or even for lunch). Totally hits the spot!
Quinoa — I made my quinoa in my rice cooker and added a tablespoon of taco seasoning to give it a little flavor.
- 1 lb. of ground meat (turkey, beef, chicken, pork… your choice)
- 1/2 packet (or more) of taco seasoning depending on how spicy you’d like it.
- half an onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- salt / pepper as needed
- 1 can of beans (white, kidney, pinto, black, your choice)
- half a bag of spinach
- Optional toppings: diced avocado, sour cream, and queso fresco or any kind of cheese you prefer.
- In a sauce pan, sauté garlic and onions in olive oil.
- Brown the meat and add taco seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the meat is cooked, add the beans (liquid too), and stir until beans are heated.
- Toss in your spinach and cover until cooked.
- In a bowl, scoop in some quinoa, then the chili. Top with diced avocado, sour cream and cheese.