If you like toasted almond ice cream, then you’re going to enjoy this winner! Swiss Chocolate Almond Gelato is now a favorite at my house. And I call it “Swiss chocolate” because I actually used a bar of dark chocolate from Switzerland personally hand-delivered to me by my cousin. Yummy! (or should I say köstlich, lecker or delikat since she’s Swiss-German?) 🙂
- 1 cup of raw almonds, toasted then chopped
- 1 cup of cottage cheese blend until smooth (or 1 cup of ricotta cheese as is)
- 1 can of coconut cream
- 1/3 cup of agave nectar
- Optional: 1/2 – 1 tsp of almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- pinch salt
- 4 squares of 70% (or higher) dark chocolate, finely grated
- Simmer the milk and agave in a saucepan just until it starts to bubble along the edges.
- Turn off the heat and add the toasted almonds and let steep for an hour. (Taste to see if the almond taste is strong enough. You can add almond extract if needed.)
- After an hour, pour the mixture through a fine mesh sieve pushing the almonds with the back of your spoon to get all the liquids out through the sieve. (Discard or set aside the ground almonds to mix into the gelato later.) Refrigerate the milk mixture for about 3 hours.
- Take the milk mixture and beat it together with the cottage cheese (or ricotta) and pinch salt until light and smooth.
- In another bowl, whip the heavy cream in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold into the milk mixture.
- Transfer and churn it in your ice cream maker. (Follow the manufacturer’s directions.)
- About five minutes before churning is complete, add in the finely grated dark chocolate and about 2-4 tbsp of the chopped almonds from earlier.
- Enjoy! (Store gelato in an air-tight container and keep in freezer.)