I stumbled across this recipe on Pinterest. It originates from shecookshecleans.net and I had to try it (with some minor alterations) to prepare for Thanksgiving, and because who doesn’t love pecan pie? Sure, I’ll miss the crust but these gluten-free babies are full of crunch since they’re packed with pecans. And you can also use walnuts or almonds or any favorite nut for this recipe, if you prefer. Crustless Pecan Tarts are just the right size for a sweet nutty snack or top it with a small scoop of coconut vanilla ice cream for a bite-sized dessert. Also perfect for potlucks!
RECIPE (makes 30 mini muffin-sized tarts):
- 1-1/2 cups raw pecan pieces
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (for toasting pecans)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter (for pie filling)
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of agave nectar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Optional: 1 tbsp rum or bourbon
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tbsp of butter and add pecans. Toss frequently until pecans are lightly toasted and fragrant. Remove from pan immediately to prevent burning the pecans, and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 325˚ F. Grease muffin pan or line a muffin pan with silicone baking cups. Distribute the chopped pecans equally into the baking cups. Set aside.
- Using a large heat-proof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water (or a bain-marie), melt the 4 tbsp butter. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in sugar and salt with a wooden spoon until the butter is absorbed.
- Beat in the eggs, then the agave nectar.
- Return the bowl over the simmering water then stir until the mixture is shiny, smooth, and warm to the touch. Remove from heat.
- Stir in rum/bourbon and vanilla.
- Pour the pie filling over the pecan-filled muffin pan, distributing equally.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the pie filling is set, but still soft to the touch, and the tops are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, at least 4 hours.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
(If you end up storing these in the refrigerator, pop them in a toaster oven for a 3-5 minutes. Still good!)