I’ve been following FastPaleo.com since they posted a pumpkin recipe contest. This Pumpkin Spice Loaf with Cinnamon Frosting in particular caught my eye. I didn’t get a chance to make it right away until now (and the contest is over). This was one of the top five winners. It’s so moist and not too sweet. Even the frosting is not overly sweetened. They go perfectly well together. I made a few tweaks to make it a bit more guilt-free and added toasted pecans into the batter because I like hearty breads with “stuff” in it. I suppose you can also add roasted flax seeds too. (I’m going to add that next time! :)) So, yup… I definitely agree why this is a winner! (Even my 8-year old daughter liked it and she usually doesn’t touch “mommy’s diet foods.”) Perfect for a Thanksgiving dessert or something to bring to a Halloween potluck. Enjoy!
PUMPKIN SPICE LOAF
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- Optional: 1/2 to 1 cup of pecans or walnuts (lightly toasted in the oven)
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚ F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients (except the nuts) with a mixer.
- Once batter is smooth, then add the nuts.
- Pour batter into a greased bread loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and allow to cool. Place the pan in the fridge and make Cinnamon Frosting (see below) while the loaf cools.
- Gently remove loaf from baking pan. Using a butter knife or spatula, cover entire loaf with Cinnamon Frosting. Serve and enjoy! Store extras in fridge.
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine all ingredients with a mixer on high until you get the texture of fluffy frosting (approx 2-3 min).
- Spread frosting on cooled Pumpkin Spice Loaf.