Just to break away from all the sweetness, here’s a savory Feta Cheese and Spinach Muffin from my gluten-free idol Elana Amsterdam. I love the combination of feta and spinach. These guilt-free muffins taste like the inside of a quiche without the crust. Too bad, huh? I really enjoy flaky crusts. But since there’s no crust, it’s low-carb. 🙂 You can make about 12 muffins or make these into mini muffins that you can easily pop into your mouth. They’re best fresh out of the oven! Perfect for brunch, as a side with soup, or when you feel like having a salty snack.
- 1-1/2 cups of almond flour
- 1 tbsp of arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of chopped fresh spinach
- 8 oz. of crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven at 350˚F for regular-sized muffins or 400˚F for mini-muffins. Line muffin tin with paper liners or grease with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, arrowroot powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil and eggs.
- Blend wet and dry ingredients together with a mixer, then fold in spinach and cheese.
- Scoop into muffin tins. Bake for 22-27 minutes for regular-sized muffins or 6-8 minutes for mini-muffins.
- Cool for 20 minutes, then serve.