Pumpkins, sweet potatoes and cinnamon, oh my! It must be fall. Add this guilt-free Roasted Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Puree to your Thanksgiving Dinner. It’s gluten-free and full of fiber. Serve as a side dish with lunch or dinner, or even eat it as a dessert. It’s like Thanksgiving in a bowl!
I want to just stick this puree in a crust and make it into a pie or cover the top with marshmallows and heat it up in the oven. But since I can’t do that, simply sprinkle roasted pecan pieces over the top to make it nutty-licious and still guilt-free!
- about 2-3 cups of fresh pumpkin, diced
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 generous tbsp of butter
- 2-3 generous tbsp of cream cheese
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1-2 tsp agave nectar
- ground cinnamon (spice to your taste)
- 1 tsp of dry sweetener (Stevia, Splenda, Coconut Palm Sugar) of your choice
- Roast pumpkin in oven at 350˚F until it is fork tender. (You can follow these instructions from Elana’s Pantry, or you can buy the canned stuff but it won’t be chunky. And make sure there’s no sugar.)
- Boil sweet potato until fork tender.
- Mash the pumpkin and sweet potato in a bowl, then add the banana. Mash to your desired consistency (lumpy or totally smooth…whatever you like).
- Mix in butter, cream cheese and agave nectar.
- Add cinnamon and dry sweetener to your taste.