I’m not a big fan of lemony treats but now I am after this guilt-free citrus treat: Lemon Curd! And, it a recipe you can use when you don’t know what to do with egg yolks. My Swiss cousin actually turned me on to this breakfast/dessert treat. Serve a little bit on the side with Fage Greek yogurt* (preferably Total Fat because it tastes better AND is good for you, too! Don’t be afraid of fat, people.). Stir it up and enjoy. It’s like eating key lime pie for breakfast!
*Fage Greek yogurt is NOTHING like any other brand of Greek yogurt. This stuff is very smooth and not tart at all. It’s like eating straight up cream. It’s sooooo good!
- 5-6 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons of butter (cut up into 4 pieces)
- the juice and zest of 2 lemons (or mango works well too!)
- 1/2 cup of agave nectar (or other sweetener)
- 1 tsp of vanilla (optional; help cuts the tartness)
- Set up a bain marie or heat-proof bowl over simmering water.
- Add the egg yolks, lemon juice and zest, and agave nectar. Use a whisk to stir and combine the ingredients.
- Slowly add small pieces of butter until it’s all in the bowl. Whisk the butter into the mixture as you add it.
- Gently simmer and occasionally blend the mixture until it thickens (about 5 minutes). Try not to let it get clumpy.
- Once it is the consistency of custard, take it off the heat, cool in a bowl or pan of cold water to stop it from cooking, and then store it in the refrigerator to use in yogurt, as cupcake filling, or on toast.