Look at the shiny chocolate coating on these Macaroons. Makes me want to eat them right off my computer screen. 🙂 I found this recipe from Comfy Belly (Love this site!) and altered it a tiny bit. This batch makes A TON of guilt-free macaroons. I think I got 36-40 pieces. Great for parties and to bring at potlucks.
- 5 large or 6 small egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 cup of agave nectar (or honey or other sweetener)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 3 cups of shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 tsp of almond extract (optional) or 1/4 tsp of lemon zest (optional)
- For a chewier texture, add 1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk or beat eggs whites together with the salt, until it is shiny with stiff peaks (about 5 minutes).
- Fold in the agave nectar, vanilla, coconut, and almond extract or lemon zest.
- Drop and shape spoonfuls of batter on parchment paper or other non-stick cooking surface or sheet to bake.
- Bake for 14 minutes, or until they are browned at the peaks and on the bottom.
- Dip in melted chocolate if you choose. (Not recommended for lemon macaroons.)
- Cool and enjoy! Store in a sealed container.
- Set up a bain marie or I just placed a metal bowl over a pot of boiling water.
- Add about 1 cup of chocolate chips or chocolate bar to the bowl and melt slowly.
- Once the chocolate is in a liquid state (tempered), dip each macaroon into the chocolate.
- Place the dipped macaroons on a non-stick surface and place in the refrigerator for an hour so. Alternatively, you can let these set at room temperature in a cool location.
(Stay tuned for what you can do with the egg yolks. You won’t regret it!)