I saw this on Elana’s Pantry. She called them Almond Joy Bars but I’d prefer to call these Chocolate Almond Joy CAKE because its texture is more like cake. I guess when I hear or see the word “bar” I think something crisp like a granola bar, dense like a fig Newton, or chewy like a candy bar. But whatever it’s called, Elana hit this out of the ballpark! This is quite a tasty dessert. The best part is that while these babies are baking in the oven, your house smells absolutely delicious! Gluten-free, dairy-free, and lower carbs than a real Almond Joy candy bar. 🙂
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- ¾ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 bar of 72% chopped dark chocolate
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, almond extract and palm sugar with a mixer.
- In a smaller bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet with a mixer.
- Stir in ½ cup of the chocolate chips.
- Grease an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Pour batter into dish, then sprinkle shredded coconut and remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. (Enjoy the smell of toasted coconut wafting through the house!)
- Cool for 1 hour.
(* Next time I might sprinkle slivered almonds on top before baking to add a bit of crunch to these tasty treats.)