I love everything about coconut! I love its flavor, its aroma, its texture, and it always reminds me of Hawaii or Thai food and makes me wish I was on vacation. I also am digging coconut palm sugar as my sweetener these days. It’s like all the goodness of sugar and low in the glycemic index. Nirvana! I love sprinkling it on top of steel cut oatmeal or Greek yogurt to give it enough sweetness.
Since I’m not going anywhere tropical, I’ll just make this gluten-free Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream. This is, if I may quote my kids’ favorite show The Upside Down Show, “…delicious, delectable, and DEEEE-light-FUL!”
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup milk (Vit. D, low-fat, your choice)
- ½ cup of coconut palm sugar
- 3 tsp. of vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- Heat in a pot until sugar is melted.
- Cool for at least an hour on the stove top or longer in the refrigerator.
- Place in your ice cream maker per instructions.
- Top with toasted shredded coconut*. (That truly adds another dimension!)
Toasted Shredded Coconut
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Place a 1/2 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut in a pie tin or cookie sheet.
- Heat in the oven for about 3-5 minutes. (Check often as the coconut burns fast!)
- Toss and mix to get the underside of the coconut toasted, too.
- Heat for another 3-5 minutes.