Do you want another guilt-free alternative to rice? I got this tip from my cousin in the Philippines who does the Primal Diet. She uses cauliflower as a rice substitute. At first I was, like, “OMG! Really? How do you substitute cauliflower for rice?” But you know what folks—Cauliflower Rice just works! Look at the picture. Doesn’t that look JUST LIKE FRIED RICE? And the taste is amazing! While I’m cooking this I forget that cauliflower is a vegetable and I still add in more vegetables as if I was making real fried rice.
Don’t get me wrong, I still love my Faux Fried Rice, but Cauliflower Rice is lighter so if I “accidentally” overeat this dish, I don’t feel too full and I’m able to burn it faster. It’s also gluten-free, low-carb and a true guilt-free side dish.
Here’s the recipe as SIMPLE RICE which you can eat as a side dish with grilled chicken or a steak. And this is such a delicious complement to curries and stews.
- 1 head of cauliflower, grate it or chop/mince the whole thing up including the stalks until it looks like rice. Set aside.
- butter or olive oil
- garlic or garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up the butter/oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Sauté the garlic.*
- Throw in the cauliflower and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir-fry until cauliflower is cooked.
(*If adding meat, sauté and cook the meat with the garlic before tossing in the cauliflower.)
Here’s another version where I cooked it with langostino (the imposter lobster) tails.