I was inspired to make these low-carb, gluten-free Chocolate Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting (based on a recipe from Elana’s Pantry) because my Swiss cousin emailed me right after she made them. Since she lives in Switzerland and is hours ahead of me, she had already baked and consumed a cupcake while I was still asleep. She said, “WOW!!! It is very, very, very good! Very close to boxed cupcake mix…like Duncan Hines!”
So how can I not bake these. So that same day, I pulled out all my ingredients and started to bake. Yup, she is absolutely right! These cupcakes are amazingly delicious! They are not dense or heavy. They are light and almost fluffy (thanks to coconut flour) though a little on the dry side, but no worries. Just slather the whipped cream frosting on top of these babies and they’re good to go!
Makes 7-8 cupcakes.
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 butter (melted)
1/4 c agave nectar
- Preheat oven at 375˚.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a mixer, blend together eggs, butter and agave.
- Add in dry ingredients into the wet mixture.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper liners and fill 1/2 to 2/3 into each.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- 1/2 c whipped cream
- 1/3 tsp of Stevia (or any sweetener of your choice)
- 4 tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (or you can leave this out and make it plain white vanilla frosting)
- Splash of almond or vanilla extract