It’s FRIDAY, so let’s do another sweet treat!
The first words that came out of my mouth after I took the first bite of this low-carb, gluten-free Coconut Cupcake with Citrus Frosting was “O-M-G!!! This has got to be the BEST cupcake I have ever had!” And that means a lot coming from a Sprinkles Cupcake fan. My husband also agrees (and he doesn’t like anything that has “fake sugar” in it). If I can describe this guilt-free goody in one word that would be SINFUL. How can something guilt-free be sinful? It’s dense but delicious. A bit heavy but heavenly. And if you like coconut, then you’ll really fall in love with this cupcake. I don’t usually care for citrus-flavored baked goods but this frosting is scrumptious! The mixture of lime, orange and lemon zest I used gave the frosting a refreshingly light flavor to compliment the decadent cake below it. Plus, it looks like I mixed glitter sprinkles in. 🙂
(Makes about 10 cupcakes)
½ cup coconut oil (Melt it in the microwave first.)
½ cup agave nectar
½ cup coconut flour
½ teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt (I used regular salt.)
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Using a mixer blend eggs, coconut oil, and agave nectar in a bowl.
- Sift together coconut flour, salt, and baking soda. Add shredded coconut in to the dry mixture.
- Pulse dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Allow the batter to sit and thicken just a bit. (Mine thickened while mixing.)
- Line the cupcake tin with baking cups.
- Spoon ¼ cup cupcake batter into each cup.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
Key Lime Frosting*
(*I didn’t have enough lime so I added orange and lemon zest as well – thus “citrus frosting.”)
1 pint heavy cream
½ cup agave nectar (or you can use 1-2 tsp. of Stevia)
¼ cup lime zest (3-4 limes)
- In a large bowl, whip the cream, agave and citrus zest with a mixer.
- Whip until the cream forms soft peaks
- Spread on your favorite cake or cupcakes
(This recipe came from Elana’s Pantry. She makes organic, gluten-free foods for her family.)